Together the American Heart Association® and Aramark are working to improve the health of all Americans 20 percent by 2020. Check out our health impact accomplishments to date:
Year Two Infographic
Year Two Press Release
Empowering Americans to make better food
choices is the goal of a breakthrough initiative between
the American Heart Association®, the nation's largest
voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart
disease and stroke, and Aramark, the largest U.S.-based
food services provider.
Healthy for Life® 20 By 20, a five year initiative, introduces industry leading menu commitments by reducing calories, saturated fat and sodium levels 20 percent, and increasing fruits, vegetables and whole grains 20 percent. Changes will impact more than 2 billion meals that Aramark serves annually at thousands of schools and universities, business, hospitals, sports and entertainment venues, parks and other destinations, with an expected impact of 10 billion meals by 2020.
HEALTHY FOR LIFE® 20 BY 20 COMMITMENTS
Menu Impact &
- Aramark will achieve a 20 percent reduction in calories, saturated fat and sodium, as well as a 20 percent increase in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, by 2020.
- The commitment applies to the more than 2 billion meals that Aramark serves annually with an impact of 10 billion meals by 2020.
- The menu changes will be achieved through ongoing culinary and supply chain innovation featuring health and wellness inspired recipe development, ingredient sourcing and menu design.
Education and Awareness
- The American Heart Association and Aramark will work together to expand their health education programs to focus on key underserved communities across the U.S., piloting in Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia, to start, and then replicating successful solutions across the country.
- The programs will make a significant impact through culturally relevant and family-centric cooking and nutrition education and curriculum on healthier, easier, more affordable meals.
- We will expand ongoing consumer awareness and
education programs at food service locations across our
portfolio of businesses.
- The programs empower consumers to make healthier
choices through healthy cooking demonstrations, healthy
food sampling, wellness workshops, dietitian Q&A
programs, on-line and mobile health and nutrition
information access and on-site digital wellness
Leadership & Best Practices
- The American Heart Association and Aramark will
establish an annual learning agenda and health impact
report that tracks and publishes the progress of the joint
initiative and effectiveness of specific community
Healthy for Life® is Aramark’s comprehensive and integrated approach to health and wellness, that features healthy food, nutrition education and wellness programs that work together to support healthy lifestyles. Healthy for Life® 20 By 20 is a premier initiative of Aramark’s Healthy for Life® commitment and the American Heart Association.
Healthy for Life® is a registered trademark of Aramark.