PHILADELPHIA, PA (September 20, 2016)
– As part of Aramark’s ongoing commitment to health and wellness, company associates are uniting today to inspire families worldwide to make healthy food, nutrition and lifestyle choices. Aramark Building Community Day (ABC Day), the company’s global day of service, which takes place each September, is one demonstration of the year-round dedication of Aramark employees to strengthening local communities. In the U.S., this year’s effort supports the company’s Healthy for Life® 20 by 20
commitment to improve the health of Americans by 20 percent by 2020 in partnership with the American Heart Association
“I’m incredibly proud of our dedicated associates whose year-round contributions are a vital part of Aramark’s efforts to enrich and nourish lives in communities around the world,” said Eric J. Foss, Aramark Chairman, President and CEO. “Today, on Aramark Building Community Day, our volunteers are lending their unique skills and expertise to improve the health of tens of thousands of families by educating and inspiring them to make healthy food, nutrition and lifestyle choices part of their everyday lives.”
Thousands of Aramark associates, including chefs, nutritionists and dietitians, are volunteering at community centers and nonprofit groups around the globe. Volunteers in 15 countries, including the U.S., Canada, Chile, China and the United Kingdom, will bring health and wellness education and awareness programs to families in underserved communities.
“The American Heart Association is proud to join Aramark on its global day of service, as part of our shared commitment to improve the health of Americans by 20 percent by 2020,” said Nancy Brown, CEO, American Heart Association. “It’s been proven that educating families on how to make healthier food and lifestyle decisions makes a lasting, positive impact on their overall health. The programs taking place today bring vital health and wellness skills to communities that need it most.”
Volunteer projects will focus on nutrition education, healthy cooking demonstrations, food discovery experiences and food sampling, transforming recreational spaces and creating community gardens, among others. Hundreds of volunteer sites around the world will host a variety of activities, including:
- Transforming community kitchens, gyms, playgrounds and physical fitness centers, building community vegetable gardens, painting inspirational murals, refurbishing food pantries, and revitalizing outdoor play areas to create positive experiences that enable people to discover how to eat healthy and achieve their lifestyle goals.
- Hosting health and wellness demonstrations, workshops and community fairs that provide actionable information to enable community members to make healthier choices and lead healthier lives.
- Creating healthy meal kits that provide children and families with opportunities to cook and try new healthy foods.
- Collecting healthy food, books, cooking utensils, sporting goods and other supplies for families in need.
Today’s effort is part of Aramark Building Community
, the company’s year-round global volunteer and philanthropic program. Since 2008, Aramark has invested more than $9 million in expertise, financial and in-kind resources to strengthen the capacity of more than 100 community centers in 52 cities. More than 35,000 employees have dedicated their skills and expertise through hundreds of volunteer projects impacting millions of people.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves the world’s leading educational institutions, Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, prominent healthcare providers, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. Our 280,000 team members deliver innovative experiences and services in food, facilities management and uniforms to millions of people every day. We strive to create a better world by making a positive impact on people and the planet, including commitments to engage our employees; empower healthy consumers; build local communities; source ethically, inclusively and responsibly; operate efficiently; and reduce waste. Aramark is recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Human Rights Campaign (LGBTQ), DiversityInc, Black Enterprise and the Disability Equality Index. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.