In the wake of recent natural disasters which affected employees and communities in the American Gulf region, Southeast Asia, Chile and Haiti, The ARAMARK Charitable Fund has made sizable contributions to the American Red Cross for relief efforts. In addition, we have activated the ARAMARK Disaster Relief Web Portal for U.S. based employees that would like to make a personal financial contribution to support the relief effort.
2010 Haiti and Chile Earthquakes
In response to the earthquakes that struck Haiti and Chile, ARAMARK and our employees pledged their support to the relief effort. The ARAMARK Charitable Fund made a contribution to the American Red Cross targeted for international disaster relief.
2008 - Hurricane Ike
Residents of Galveston, Houston and other areas along the Gulf were evacuated, lost power and potable water and received heavy flooding due to Hurricane Ike. With a large number of employees and considerable business in these areas, ARAMARK was called upon to help and provided substantial support, including:
- The Houston Independent School District team shipped food to area shelters and command centers.
- Houston’s George R. Brown Convention Center was set up as a temporary shelter for evacuees and emergency personnel. The ARAMARK team assisted with food and supplies. Area ARAMARK teams were called on to help.
- The Reliant Stadium team served FEMA and Texas Task Force One emergency staff.
- The Austin Convention Center team is serving about 400 evacuees.
- Correctional Services sent cases of water and other staples to Galveston Jail.
- The B&I Remote Services team worked with the Mayor’s Office to help feed Houston Police Department officers.
- The Business Dining team sent water and set up mobile kitchens for local Sprint and Valero customers.
2008 Hurricane Gustav
After Hurricane Gustav hit the Louisiana coast earlier in September, ARAMARK employees helped in a number of ways, including:
- Convention Centers and Cultural Attractions worked with the Louisiana Governor’s Office to source and ship ready-to-eat meals (MRE's) to residents for several weeks.
- In Baton Rouge, ARAMARK and City Year assisted the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. Our Education team has been directing food and supplies and coordinating volunteer efforts.
- After an ARAMARK Healthcare facilities client in Baton Rouge lost their kitchen, the Sports and Entertainment team from George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston sent 3,000 MRE’s until a mobile kitchen could be set up.