Within our businesses, we touch millions of lives everyday. Through our aligned Business Purpose and CSR focus, we have an opportunity to continue making a positive impact on our stakeholders every day. This is demonstrated in programs, commitments and actions across our organization, some of which are highlighted within this information. Below is a selected list of CSR-related activities and recognition.
- ARAMARK Ireland has received the prestigious Investors in People Award recognizing the company’s people management and business practices. The award was recently presented from the Minister for Employment and Learning. The standard provides a framework that helps organizations improve performance and customer service objectives through the effective management, development and motivation of its people.
- ARAMARK Ireland has launched its Graduate Development Program. In October 2008, four people will begin year long training for a post as Regional Manager within ARAMARK Ireland. Graduates will assume the role of trainee manager and gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of the business through a series of challenging projects and work-based tasks. The program is open to those with experience in the catering/hospitality industry, including current employees.
- In 2008, ARAMARK and Vice President of Diversity Nicole Johnson-Reece participated with several partner organizations in addressing attendees and through key sponsorships. These organizations include the National Council of La Raza, the largest Latino civil rights and advocacy organization in the U.S., the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and the The Women’s Foodservice Forum (WFF).
- ARAMARK Sports & Entertainment announced that 18 of its top executive chefs have successfully completed The Culinary Institute of America ProChef Level II Certification Program, a comprehensive professional development and culinary skills verification program taught by the world’s premier culinary college. The program measures core culinary, managerial and financial acumen.
- ARAMARK UK Offshore have been recognized five times over the past six years by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA), a UK Health and Safety organization. Most recently, they won the prestigious Scotland Trophy for Occupational Health and Safety, which honors the organization with the best safety practices across all Scottish industries. This was ARAMARK UK’s second time winning this award.
- ARAMARK continually supports our employees and children through the ARAMARK Scholarship Program. Each year, at least 25 students who are children of eligible employees are awarded a $1,000 renewable scholarship to help them get the most from college. Since inception, more than $1 million in scholarships have been awarded.
- ARAMARK Higher Education held its second annual ARAMARK Culinary Excellence (ACE) competition at the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) conference in Chicago. This year’s competition was sanctioned by the American Culinary Federation (ACF) and culminated in Millennium Park with more than 200 clients where the Midwest region took top honors. In the days following the competition, the chefs participated in a culinary tour of Chicago.
- ARAMARK Higher Education, has committed to implement Green Stakes, five key sustainable practices across all of its operations by 2010. The Company has also partnered with Clean Air - Cool Planet (CA-CP), to create a calculator tool that assesses the carbon footprint or “foodprint” of foods served on campus by quantifying the environmental impact of growing, producing, transporting and disposing of food. The tool will enable students around the nation to make responsible decisions about the foods they choose.
- With the launch of the 2009 baseball season ARAMARK continues to work with teams and its partners to implement environmentally friendly practices around the country. Through the company’s environmental stewardship platform -- “Green Thread”, teams have access to programs that promote the use of local ingredients, source from local farmers and suppliers, reduce waste, utilize biodegradable service ware, and encourage composting and recycling of bottles, cans, cardboard as well as frying oil.
- ARAMARK Uniform Services is a charter member of industrial laundry industry’s voluntary Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP). This program is focused on improving environmental performance by conserving valuable resources and reducing pollutant loading to the environment.
- AUS processes more than 460 million garments per year – the vast majority of which are delivered to customers on wire hangers. AUS has maintained a hanger recycling program for more than two decades. Recently, AUS committed to double their efforts by re-using at least 75 percent of hangers. AUS also has teamed up with Waste Management (a waste disposal company) to decrease the volume of scrap hangers going to landfills.
- ARAMARK Higher Education released research making the case for trayless dining at higher education institutions. ARAMARK measured food waste from 186,000 meals served at over 25 higher education institutions during a school year. When trays were removed from dining facilities, a 25 to 30 percent reduction in food waste per person was realized. The research was released as part of a white paper which features case studies of several campuses that piloted trayless dining and also provides guidelines and tips on how to successfully implement a trayless dining program.
- ARAMARK Corporation has announced a national partnership with Amerex Energy Services to provide clients with an array of energy services, including the purchase of renewable energy credits (REC). This alliance broadens ARAMARK’s portfolio of options to help businesses reduce energy use and cost-effectively procure energy resources. Services include conducting energy audits and developing energy reduction strategies.
- ARAMARK has made a commitment to help preserve the world’s oceans and fisheries through a new partnership with Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program. The Aquarium will help ARAMARK develop practices to guide the supply, purchase and consumption of sustainable seafood for as many as 180,000 ARAMARK employees in the U.S. and potentially tens of millions of consumers in businesses, universities, schools, sports and entertainment facilities, parks and other locations ARAMARK operates.
- ARAMARK has dedicated more than $5 million in cash grants, volunteer hours and product donations toward improving community centers as part of a new philanthropic and employee volunteerism signature initiative. ”ARAMARK Building Community” will establish and activate long term relationships with local community center networks serving hundreds of neighborhoods in nearly 30 cities by 2011. These local partnerships will enrich the lives of thousands of families in need by helping people of all generations learn, earn and thrive.
- City Year has announced ARAMARK as one of its national leadership partners. ARAMARK’s multi-faceted commitment to the organization involves employee volunteerism, financial resources, and leadership support. City Year, which engages young people in full-time community service, will work with thousands of ARAMARK employees who will volunteer their time and expertise to help transform and build the capacity of community centers around the world.
- In 2008, several devastating hurricanes affected communities in the American Gulf region, ARAMARK employees across our domestic businesses rallied to support our employees, clients and communities. ARAMARK also worked with government agencies and non-profits to provide basic human services to those in need at shelters throughout the region. In recognition of these efforts, the ARAMARK Charitable Fund made a contribution of $50,000 to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
- 20 ARAMARK employees have received prestigious Jefferson Awards which are national honors given by the American Institute for Public Service to American citizens devoted to community and public service. ARAMARK employees from across the country were recognized as part of the Corporate Champions program, which was created in 2006 to encourage volunteering in the workplace.
- When a massive earthquake struck China’s Sichuan Province, ARAMARK employees from the region, including 700 employees at hospital accounts in the capital of the province, worked tirelessly to help the injured. In addition to local support and employee donations, the ARAMARK Charitable Fund contributed $100,000 to the American Red Cross for China earthquake relief.
- ARAMARK UK has partnered with its clients to introduce “One Water” at accounts across Britain. One Water is produced by a national foundation, which uses about 20 cents from each bottle sold to finance clean water projects in Africa. ARAMARK’s initial funded site provided 300 children water at a school in South Africa.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- ARAMARK provides a nutrition newsletter at business, hospital and university locations across the country that provides insights and ideas for healthy cooking and lifestyles. The company will potentially reach millions of consumers encouraging them to take information to share at home with their families.
- ARAMARK Education has launched Cool*Caf™, a new elementary school dining environment created as a result of comprehensive research. The new concept, which features nutritious menus, faster service lines and a fruit and vegetable bar, will be introduced at 60 elementary schools this month and several hundred schools in Fall 2009. Cool*Caf was piloted at 16 schools in Fall 2008, with some showing a 50 percent increase in fruit and vegetable consumption.
- ARAMARK Healthcare, along with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) hosted a summit for its Environmental Services (EVS) Directors of Operations at the CDC in Atlanta. The summit’s mission was to outline best practices and innovative technologies related to the CDC’s guidelines for infection control. As a result of the summit, the team will lead efforts to educate managers on interpreting CDC guidelines and collaboration around the most effective infection control protocols.
- ARAMARK is an American Dietetic Association (ADA) Partner. From spearheading the ADA Food and Nutrition Conference in Philadelphia to presenting at the ADA’s Public Policy Workshop in Washington, D.C., ARAMARK has seized the opportunity to showcase itself as a thought leader in the health and wellness arena. Employing over 1,000 dietitians, ARAMARK works with the ADA on joint research and consumer education programs which will make a greater impact on public health.
- Several hundred managers and chefs from 10 ARAMARK countries on four continents served several millions of meals to Olympic athletes at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing. This diverse group of athletes required the development of a menu consisting of over 800 rigorously tested recipes which satisfy detailed nutritional needs as well as many tastes and preferences.
- ARAMARK Germany’s “Well Fit” program combines both light and fresh meals for health minded consumers. The wellness concept brings a wide range of culinary creations that meet communicated nutritional requirements. Additionally, many of the programs ingredients are sourced locally from sustainable fisheries and agricultural suppliers.
- ARAMARK Uniform and Career Apparel (AUCA) continues to grow its Flame Resistant (FR) garment and equipment business. In addition to growing sales, AUCA focuses on helping to educate its customer base and prospects by sponsoring a free webinar for “Electrical Safety and Arc Flash Protection.” The program reinforces the importance of understanding the standards for electrical safety in the workplace, and the impact of using protective clothing and equipment to provide a safe workplace for employees.
- ARAMARK Chile offers a comprehensive health and recreation program intended to increase overall quality of life for its consumers at client locations. Along with selected partners, this integrated program focuses on issues such as physical activity and healthy eating both at home and in the workplace.
- ARAMARK Education has seen significant growth in the number of students eating breakfast at school since the company introduced its “AMP Up With Breakfast” program last year. ARAMARK Education is continuing to raise awareness about the importance of eating breakfast. According to the American Dietetic Association, more than 40 percent of girls and 32 percent of boys skip breakfast on a regular basis.