ARAMARK On … Nutrition and Healthy Menus
ARAMARK dietitians, chefs and operators around the world work to ensure all consumers -- including students in schools and colleges, employees, patients, seniors, sports fans, inmates and others -- receive a variety of fresh, balanced options to meet individual nutrition needs and dietary preferences.
Healthy Menus for School Students
ARAMARK is dedicated to serving nutritious, healthy food to the 2 million students we serve daily at more than 420 school districts around the country. Through nutritious meal and educational programs, such as Ace, Spike, A.P.P.L.E.S, FUEL, 12Spot, UBU Lounge, One World Café, and Cool*Caf ARAMARK has provided the K-12 market with quality food and nutrition programs for more than 50 years.
ARAMARK is dedicated to serving high-quality, nourishing and balanced school meals that meet or exceed recommendations of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans which include:
- Low and non-fat dairy options
- Lean protein choices
- Access to a wide variety of fruits and vegetables
- Increased fiber from whole grain products, legumes, fruits and vegetables
- Low-fat and non-fat milk,100% juice and water are beverages of choice
ARAMARK is committed to supporting wellness of school-aged children by:
- Promoting breakfast and expanding availability to ensure students are fully prepared to have a productive school day
- Offering healthy, nutrient-dense snacks as part of a balanced diet
- Eliminating added trans-fats in the foods we serve by working with manufacturers to reduce trans-fats in recipe ingredients and prepared foods
- Reducing the use of processed foods, added fats, sugar and salt by preparing more meals from scratch using fresh, wholesome ingredients and healthy cooking techniques to create menu options that will appeal to students
- Sourcing high quality, local produce and products when feasible
- Enabling healthy lifestyles by providing wellness education and responsible marketing programs to students and their families that focus on the importance of balanced eating and physical activity
- Creating sustainable, energy efficient, healthy school buildings and environments by utilizing our facilities expertise to implement environmentally friendly initiatives in building and facility services management
- Advancing employee knowledge of nutrition and health principles with education raining that utilizes proprietary tools and processes
- Providing thought leadership and legislative advocacy on issues that impact student health and well-being.
Adult Health and Wellness Programs
- Our award-winning Just4U™ healthier menu program allows diners to easily identify the foods right for them, including low fat, low calorie, vegetarian, etc. Available at businesses, hospitals and universities, Just4U™ recipes are developed for superior taste and analyzed by dietitians for nutritional content based on several criteria. Just4U™ educational materials have been favorably reviewed by the American Dietetic Association.
- Just4U for Vending™ provides more than 150 healthier beverage and snack options in vending machines.
- ARAMARK’s “Fresh & Healthy” nutrition education and healthy lifestyle communications highlight ways to eat more healthfully with colorful point-of-sale materials and customer newsletters. Available at more than 2,000 business, university and healthcare locations, “Fresh & Healthy” is updated quarterly.
Dietitians, the Nutrition Experts
- Registered dietitians help inform menu and lifestyle choices and drive nutrition education programs throughout many ARAMARK lines of businesses, including Healthcare, Education and Correctional Services.
- As one of America’s largest employers of registered dietitians, ARAMARK works with the American Dietetic Association (ADA) to develop joint consumer education programs, elevate awareness of dietitians as the nation’s nutrition experts, and make a greater impact on public health. ARAMARK is the only professional services company to be an ADA Partner.
- Learn more about ARAMARK’s dietitians and our Dietitian Internship Program or read what our interns have said about the program.
- ARAMARK conducts comprehensive research into the away-from-home eating habits and nutritional preferences of Americans. The findings from this Nutritional DiningStyles® Research have helped guide the company’s dining programs. This research has been shared with leaders in the medical, nutrition and scientific communities and the public.
- In 2004, the ARAMARK Charitable Fund, a philanthropic fund created by ARAMARK, awarded a grant to the American Diabetes Association Research Foundation to fund multi-year research into childhood obesity.